Thursday 26 May 2011

Saatchi Gallery


I then remembered the work of an artist whose work I had seen featured in the Sattchi gallery exhibition Newspeak: British Art Now.

Ximena Garrido-Lecca is a Peruvian artist whose piece in the gallery 'The Followers' is a reproduction of a shrine-like burial wall with individual niches for the deceased. Each niche is richly decorated with photographs, flowers and images of saints. The wall is extremely large ,incredibly intricate and completely overpowering, it was my favourite thing in the whole exhibition.


Close ups of 'The Followers'








These shrines inspired me to combine my forms of escapism with religious imagery to create Saints of escapism. I think that religion is a form of escapism and that therefore religion and escapism are complimentary. The colourful and complex nature of Ximena Garrido-Lecca's work also appeals to me and I think that presenting the forms of escapism in colour with religious references could be really successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment