Thursday 26 May 2011

Muse

The muses of Clio, Euterpe and Thalia by Eustache Le Sueur

After completing the work with the cans I decided I wanted to further explore the five forms of escapism I had selected. I looked as the classical muses for inspiration.

The nine muses are Greek goddesses who inspire the creation of literature and art. Each muse has an emblem or prop which conveys the function of the muse. For example Calliope the muse of epic poetry carries a writing tablet. The muses have been present in many works of art as an ode to creativity and inspiration.

I found the idea of these muses incredibly inspiring. I would like to photograph my five muses of escapism by selecting props associated with each of the forms. The muses served as inspiration and, as the can project illustrates, part of my project is to inspire people to escape. Furthermore I think there is a link between escapism and creativity which would be expressed by having muses.

No comments:

Post a Comment